• To log on and post you will need to create an account in the forums even if you already registered on the main Hotness Rater site. These registrations are separate.

"What is a celebrity?" and other questions.

Sliverik

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site.
I've discovered it via StumbleUpon, and I really like it. Not only can I discover new faces, but I can also share some images I like, and see if my taste is as strange as I sometimes think^^.
So, coming back to the matter, I have some questions:

The first one, from the title:
How do you define what a celebrity is?
I ask because for me, a celebrity is someone whose name is publicly known, and who does something that makes you see them often in the medias.
Are models celebrities? Some may be known, but most of them are quite anonymous...
I checked the "celebrity" case, but I'm not sure if it was right.

Second question:
Could there be an option for some notifications about votes on your pictures? Not live notifications like on facebook, but something like "Since your last visit, 3 of your pictures got new votes. [See here]", you get the idea. I'm quite interesting in following the trend of some of my pictures, and having to click on each of them everytime I want to check, even if they didn't get votes is quite long.

Another question:
On the other site, babesrater, is there a way to see which images won or lost against a given image, like you can see it on this site?

I'm done for now, but I may have more suggestions coming!

HotnessRater

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah our definition of celebrity is pretty loose... basically I think it has evolved into a way to group people. If you upload pictures and mark them as a celebrity and someone else uploads pictures with the same name and marks them as celebrity, all the pictures will be assigned to the same 'person'. If celebrity isn't marked and both people upload pictures, they will be assigned to unique people... so users can both upload pictures of "Jessica" without them getting assigned to the same person. So basically, if they are people that multiple people might upload pictures for, they are labelled as celebrities, no matter how obscure they may be

Second question... sure that's a great idea. I'll see what I can do.

Currently there isn't a way to see won/lost on BabesRater but we could probably put that on the to do list

Sliverik

Okay, thanks for the clarification!
I think that all my uploaded pictures are celebrities, if we look at it like that.

Some other things:

-Could there be a way to comment images? I think it would be more convenient to comment images directly on their page rather than the forum. The forum posts could be used to speak about a person in general, and all the images at once, but if you want to talk about a specific picture, why not directly on it?

-Would you think about a "favourite" system? Every member could favourite a given number of images, and this could in a way or another, boost their grades. I don't know the maths behind your algorithm, but I'll give an example: let's say that every member can choose up to three favourited pictures. Each picture wich is favourited would forget its three first down votes for each time it has been favourited.
In this case, a super popular picture that has been favourited 5 times and voted a ton would not count its 15 first down votes, which would boost its note.
Of course, you could change your favourited pictures, which would bring down a bit the mark of the one you used to have in your favourites.
The goal would be to give a chance to the images not everyone likes, but some people love.
Maybe restrict this to the images that the used didn't upload, so it would be more interesting?
Add an easy way to favourite a picture directly from the rating page, once you voted, so members could do it easily. (Because I know that otherwise, some just wouldn't care^^)

-In a linked matter, is it possible to bookmark pictures? Have a little personnal space where I can find pictures I liked? Or do I have to download those I want?

-Last question: How is the rule about nudity working? I sent pictures of the same model to both hotnessrater and babesrater, depending on whether she was naked or not for the shoot. While I can understand that some "lingerie" or "bikini" pictures have been duplicated, I noticed as well that two pictures of the naked model have been duplicated on HR. You may not see any "nudity" element like tits or genitals, but still, she doesn't wear anything. I'm just asking for clarification here, like I did for the celebrity status.
(The pics in question are http://hotnessrater.com/picture-details/728235/virginia-sun and http://hotnessrater.com/picture-details/728238/virginia-sun )

Sliverik

Sorry about the double post, but I thought I'd add here something I've noticed:
When the pictures are unrated, you can still find their hidden ratings by looking at them in full picture, and putting your mouse over the tab. It says something as "((Super) Sexy) Picture of [name]. Rating = XX/10"

HotnessRater

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah that's true... I noticed that too. It just isn't really based on much. I should probably fix that