• To log on and post you will need to create an account in the forums even if you already registered on the main Hotness Rater site. These registrations are separate.

Divorce among Celebrities

My observation on most celebrities is that their marriages do not last. Is the reason based on work pressure, career obsession or the need for super extra counselling for their marriages to work? It got me thinking that many celebrities have divorced, are thinking of divorce or will divorce. The percentage of divorce among them is higher than among non-celebrities.

Tong Hua

All the issues that you mentioned could be a factor. Aside from they work around many people with beautiful faces and the risk of temptation are higher, having all those money and power will make a person proud and therefore, wouldn't make an effort to fix a broken relationship with the thought that they cans tand on themselves especially if they're earning higher than their spouses.

Susan

I think with celebrities they are very busy and rarely got to spend quality time together. They are be away for long periods of while working on a movie, etc. They also are meeting so many other people. Marriage takes a lot of hard work and commitment and if you aren't around then it is hard to keep that spark alive.

I'd say that relationships between celebrities to celebrities are hard to maintain. Oftentimes, there's pressure, temptation and differences that they cannot handle. They say that if you're in showbiz, it will be hard to have a relationship with your fellow actor or actress. And I've seen some celebrities married to non-celebrities have better chances of marriage success. But of course, there are also celebrity with celebrity relationships that work, although rare.

I don't think that the divorce rate between celebrities is too high compared to the general population. One of the reasons why you might think that is because most of the times when two very celebrities divorce each other it is very popular tabloid news that everyone hears of. Divorce rates are very high at the moment, both between celebrities and regular people.

Like the recent "uprise" of autism caused by the more frequent reporting of it, I feel like celebrity divorce is just the same. There isn't more of it; it's just sensationalized to the point where it seems like an extremely common occurrence. It will stay that way as long as people are still selling the same old tabloids with the "_____ SHOCKS ____ by doing this ONE THING!".

In my opinion, it has something to do with publicity stunts and the like. (Not all of them, mind you, but a good portion of them.) It kinda goes like this, media sees two co-actors together, media reports that they're in a relationship, at first, they try to deny it, but media vehemently pushes the relationship theory, then the actors admit they're in a relationship (after all, this is free publicity like no other, and it keeps both the fans happy and the industry abuzz), they propose/marry each other some time later, the whole excitement around them simmers down, the two of them go through a rough patch in their career, they divorce, they come back to the limelight for some extra time. Then Rinse and Repeat.

ACSAPA

Celebrities have an extra added challenge in their relationships- fans and groupies.
When normal married people fight, they go somewhere quiet and sulk.
When celebrities fight, they have hundreds of people that want to sleep with them.
If a celebrity's wife ,isn't in the mood for sex, he has a lot of fans to choose from. That has to put a strain on their marriage.

SirJoe

It might be higher but not much higher. Most of the true celebrities try to keep their private life private. It mostly the new kids on the block that seem to attract all the wrong attention.

Vinaya

Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston, Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman were some of the best couples in Hollywood. Brad and Jennifer were married for 6 years and Tom-Nicole were married for 8 years. However, their split told a rather scary story that a committed relationship does not last in Hollywood.

sidney

I disagree that the percentage of divorce among celebrites is higher than non-celebrities, because there are lots of non-celeb couples out there that get divorced or are on the rocks with their relationship as we speak. It's just that the temptation is stronger in the entertainment industry, and they have lots of money to boot, aside from being surrounded by goodlooking faces, so their marriages are highly susceptible to disintegrate.

aquaticneko

Celebrities have an extra added challenge in their relationships- fans and groupies.
When normal married people fight, they go somewhere quiet and sulk.
When celebrities fight, they have hundreds of people that want to sleep with them.
If a celebrity's wife ,isn't in the mood for sex, he has a lot of fans to choose from. That has to put a strain on their marriage.

I really want to add, celebrity couples also have alot of money. From experience most couples I am aware of that are having problems, would just as easily take a flight out of town if they could. Instead are forced to comply or ignore. This doesnt always work mind you but most times normal people are willing to try and work it out. Celebrities on the other hand have alot of money. Money provides a sense of power and independency. Thus, most couples who separate may not be as willing to try and work it out, instead feel like they have enough power (money) to do what they want. They can just move on. I also think this is the occurrence as well as what you said, among most of the "older" couples. Of Course each couple also have there own individual problems... With Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman or Katie Holmes.. it may have been Scientology that caused the rift.

Younger couples like Taylor Swift may simple be dating around like young adults do. I know I dated around. It really is because she is so in the spotlight why Taylor's previous flings are made fun of.

pwarbi

At the end of the day, people tend to forget that celebrities are just normal people, so will have the same emotions and issues that the rest of us have.

They play out their lives in their mansions with their million dollar bank accounts and their garage full of supercars, but take all that away and they're just like me and you.

They'll fall in love, marry, fall out of love, divorce just like the rest of the world does. It's just that when it happens to us, it's not put on the front of every newspaper for the world to see.

Theboysmom04

I think celebrity divorce rates are pretty close to everyday people. We just don't have multi million dollar custody battles or receive ten thousand dollar a month alimony payments so we don't often hear about regular folks. Besides that, I think a lot of celebrities get married for the wrong reasons, perhaps looks, or for media attention, without knowing the person first. Along with that travel, temptation, or even just tiny disagreements that turn into expensive disagreements I'm sure contribute.

spence88

I agree. Celebrities have a greater tendency for divorce. In my opinion, conflict is inevitable. Put two persons together, there will be conflict. It is bound to happen. Have you ever gone out with a friend for a day? You might have realized that you had disagreements every now and then. That's just one day. Imagine if you're with that person every day. It will surely mount up. For married people, it's how the couple deal with it. We can say that celebrities divorce more often due to the factors already stated in the posts above. I definitely agree. They have somewhat a greater ability to do so.

pwarbi

The pressures a celebrity couple face will be similar to other couples, but just maybe they seem worse because they're in the spotlight. A lot if issues could be worked out, just like they can in most relationships, it's just that when other people and the media gets involved, it could to them, seem worse than it actually is.

aquaticneko

The pressures a celebrity couple face will be similar to other couples, but just maybe they seem worse because they're in the spotlight. A lot if issues could be worked out, just like they can in most relationships, it's just that when other people and the media gets involved, it could to them, seem worse than it actually is.
Yes they face the same pressures. However, the both each have more money than the average couple together. With money to flaunt, there will usually be more troubles than benefits. They are in the spotlight as well and that adds even more stress and pressure to look like a couple. I'm saying because they are in the spotlight, there is a greater temptation to try and get away from it.

pwarbi

Yes they face the same pressures. However, the both each have more money than the average couple together. With money to flaunt, there will usually be more troubles than benefits. They are in the spotlight as well and that adds even more stress and pressure to look like a couple. I'm saying because they are in the spotlight, there is a greater temptation to try and get away from it.
Money does play a part in adding to the pressure, there's no doubt about that, mo money, mo problems as the song said, but while it is an issue,when it comes to relationships I don't see why it should be.

I've never been divorced, and I'm far from being a millionaire like some of these are, so maybe I'm looking at it from an angle that isn't there as I can't say I've ever been, or ever will be in their shoes.

djole87

Divorcing has become a trend actually. Even in Serbia. We have here couples literally trying out the marriage and after several years and kids they just split, like that. It is usually some other woman or a man but it makes me wonder why did they even get into all this if they had other people in their heads still. If you are not ready for it you shouldn't do it. It is not an exam in school so when you try and fail it is okay. No it is not going to be okay and the celebs do it more easily because they have insane amounts of money. Everything is easier when you have one problem less.

aquaticneko

Divorcing has become a trend actually. Even in Serbia. We have here couples literally trying out the marriage and after several years and kids they just split, like that. It is usually some other woman or a man but it makes me wonder why did they even get into all this if they had other people in their heads still. If you are not ready for it you shouldn't do it. It is not an exam in school so when you try and fail it is okay. No it is not going to be okay and the celebs do it more easily because they have insane amounts of money. Everything is easier when you have one problem less.
What irks me is that they have kids, and these kids often have to live with the pressures of dealing with a separated mother and father. This isn't the normal kid who have to deal with those problems either. They also have the added problems of paparazzi and the media going after them too, depending on the celebrity. Celebrity kids with separated parents seem to have more problems to deal with. Do they open up to someone? They might try to hide it behind a veil of popularity.