• To log on and post you will need to create an account in the forums even if you already registered on the main Hotness Rater site. These registrations are separate.

Novelas

Bonyi

does anyone here like watching Mexican telenovelas? Which of their series is a hit and have appealed to you?

hg088

I'm Venezuelan. I don't really watch novelas but a lot of people do down here. I don't really get why, they're all basically the same plot but with different cast: poor girl turns up to be the daughter of a wealthy man and everybody loves her except the girl who is also in love with the love of her life. Anyways, there's this novela called "la reina del sur" which is super super popular which is about a girl that runs a drug cartel.

lamanlupa

When I was in highschool, the telenovelas that were shown here were usually the ones starred by Thalia, specifically, Marimar! It was the one telenovela that started it all here in the Philippines. It was so big that it inspired a craze here, where almost every young woman wanted to adopt the Thalia/Marimar look. It was then followed by other Thalia-starred telenovelas like Maria Mercedez and Maria la del Barrio among others. Thalia was and is a very beautiful latina actress and singer and seems not to be affected by age. She somehow managed to look as hot as she was in the 90s.

Elimination

I'm Venezuelan. I don't really watch novelas but a lot of people do down here. I don't really get why, they're all basically the same plot but with different cast: poor girl turns up to be the daughter of a wealthy man and everybody loves her except the girl who is also in love with the love of her life. Anyways, there's this novela called "la reina del sur" which is super super popular which is about a girl that runs a drug cartel.

La Reina del Sur stars Kate del Castillo, who in real life is being sought by the Mexican authorities for having made contact with El Chapo Guzman, head of the Sinaloa Cartel, in relation to the visit she arranged for Sean Penn who interviewed El Chapo in October.
Just a fun fact there. :p

When I was in highschool, the telenovelas that were shown here were usually the ones starred by Thalia, specifically, Marimar! It was the one telenovela that started it all here in the Philippines. It was so big that it inspired a craze here, where almost every young woman wanted to adopt the Thalia/Marimar look. It was then followed by other Thalia-starred telenovelas like Maria Mercedez and Maria la del Barrio among others. Thalia was and is a very beautiful latina actress and singer and seems not to be affected by age. She somehow managed to look as hot as she was in the 90s.
I remember when those were big here in Mexico...
That said, Thalia married that rich guy who is friends with an uncle of mine, so I've met her... she's not very pleasant in person. A bit egocentric, to put it mildly.

I watched some novelas when I was younger. I absolutely detested them. The plots are so thick and bad it hurts my eyes, to be honest.

hg088

La Reina del Sur stars Kate del Castillo, who in real life is being sought by the Mexican authorities for having made contact with El Chapo Guzman, head of the Sinaloa Cartel, in relation to the visit she arranged for Sean Penn who interviewed El Chapo in October.
Just a fun fact there.
Yeah I know! Who would have thought, she's kind a capo in real life i guess hehe. I'd like to see her in a battle one of these days. Actually latinas are super hot, I think they are getting kind of overlooked in this forum.

hg088

Just a fun fact there. :p

I remember when those were big here in Mexico...
That said, Thalia married that rich guy who is friends with an uncle of mine, so I've met her... she's not very pleasant in person. A bit egocentric, to put it mildly.
Who cares dude, just throw her in a hotness battle to decide her fate!

Mar de Amor was a big hit for me. But along the line, it started acting out like a school play. The plot and the characters were unique, but then it seemed the creators got bored and just rumbled the soap to come to an end. I have not seen another Mexican Telenovela since then because I hate wasting time like I did with Mar de Amor.

aquaticneko

Mar de Amor was a big hit for me. But along the line, it started acting out like a school play. The plot and the characters were unique, but then it seemed the creators got bored and just rumbled the soap to come to an end. I have not seen another Mexican Telenovela since then because I hate wasting time like I did with Mar de Amor.
A friend got me on that when I was in college. Being a college roommate, I told her I loved them and she shared with my a bunch of others that have since become my favorite! We keep in touch and we share what one's we've watched recently.

janemariesayed

I watched a spanish novella while I was living in Egypt and the infuriating thing is that now I've returned to the UK I can't remember the name of it. The acting was a bit bland but the plot was really good and made you want to not miss a single episode. They spoke in spanish in the series, but there were subtitles in English which enabled me to follow the story line. I used to really enjoy my five thirty pm telly watch and always made sure I had a nice cup of tea to sit down and watch it with!

No I don't, they're just terrible in my opinion, Almost all if not all telenovelas are trash. I can't think of one that's been good. It's not like I watch them to know if they're good, but they simply aren't because they have horible acting and the same stupid plot everytime. I don't know how can someone like this type of program.

clair02

I find telenovelas painful to watch. My sister used to love them though while we were both still staying at home and since there was only one television, I was forced to suffer through endless hours of watching some of the most badly written and acted novelas ever. I suppose they have evolved and improved since then, but I will never willingly watch another episode ever again.

Honestly, the only novela that I have watched is Destinos, and that was required for a Spanish course that I took. The purpose of the program is to help teach students Spanish, so I wouldn't recommend it. HOWEVER, I have seen clips of Dr. Amor, and honestly, it looks really funny, and I would watch it if I had the time. Check out some clips on Youtube!

clair02

Honestly, the only novela that I have watched is Destinos, and that was required for a Spanish course that I took. The purpose of the program is to help teach students Spanish, so I wouldn't recommend it. HOWEVER, I have seen clips of Dr. Amor, and honestly, it looks really funny, and I would watch it if I had the time. Check out some clips on Youtube!
I guess those shows could really come in handy when you are learning Spanish. I can see how they would help you with the pronunciation and accent. Other than that, I don't think you could stand them for very long. I certainly couldn't. I've seen a bit of Dr. Amor, it does look funny.

I used to watch telenovelas, since they were shown on the TV with translations. I think my favorites were "Gata Salvaje" and "Rubi".