• To log on and post you will need to create an account in the forums even if you already registered on the main Hotness Rater site. These registrations are separate.

The Oscars 2016 is tomorrow

There has been much controversy about the Oscar 2016 nomination list being an all white cast. How do you feel about this from a spectator's point of view?

I must admit I think it is a coincidence that everyone nominated is white; please no offense. But do you think there was a way the committee would have averted this?

Tong Hua

I never even noticed that. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that they've chosen the nominees based on acting prowess and not whether they are white. T

aquaticneko

Well, I noticed it only because I saw the news article about Will Smith's wife, Jada, who called for a boycott. Interesting, I never would have noticed at all.

pwarbi

I don't know how anybody could have failed to notice that, with the amount of news coverage and headlines it's made. I'll actually be glad when it's all over because I'm getting sick of nearly every day reading about one celebrity or another coming out and saying Hollywood and the Oscars are racist because of it.

My view is that colour, race or sexuality shouldn't matter and if your performance is good enough it needs to be recognized. The problem is, nobody as come out and proved that the nominations are racially motivated so maybe the white actors and actresses this year, gave better performances than the others? Next year it might be the other way round, and there won't be any white actors and actresses, it's just the way it goes.

Personally I think it's been just a coincidence that most of the nominated actors/actresses are white. That fault is not caused by Oscars but Hollywood itself, since black people don't get casted for roles as much as white people do. I think that's the thing that needs to be fixed rather than point fingers towards Oscars as an award show. Though, it's actually good that black actors boycott the show because that tells Hollywood and the rest of the world that things need to change. What bigger fuss, the bigger effect.

Ladyferoz

I never even noticed that. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that they've chosen the nominees based on acting prowess and not whether they are white. T
In my opinion, there were a few great performances this year by people of color that just got ignored. For example,
  • Idris Elba and the cast of Beasts Of No Nation
  • Oscar Isaac in Ex-Machina
  • Straight Outta Compton

rainhero

I don't really read much into it. I do think there are a lot of black actors and actresses that do deserve Oscar Nominations and have done some great acting, but there are white people who have done the same. It's never not a possibility that they could be doing it on purpose, but there is also never not a possibility that they were nominated soley because of their work. I think everyone takes this stuff to seriously sometimes. Great actors are great actors not because they win some type of award, but because of their talent and hard work. We shouldn't always have to receive something to know that. People that support them by paying to see their movies, watching their TV shows and whatever else they come out with proves that. One trophy doesn't make or break that.

Vinaya

I don't give a damn on selection process.I am just happy that Leonardo DiCaprio has been finally recognized as the Best Actor for his performance in The Revenent. DiCaprio was white however, he was not awarded for his brilliant performance in The Great Gatbsy or Blood Diamond.

Vinaya

I don't give a damn on selection process.I am just happy that Leonardo DiCaprio has been finally recognized as the Best Actor for his performance in The Revenent. DiCaprio was white however, he was not awarded for his brilliant performance in The Great Gatbsy or Blood Diamond.

Maybe it is coincidence but honestly, something like that should not happen.
We have such a variety of actors. And the selection of best actors should reflect this great diversity of people.
I personally like Idris Alba as well. He should have gotten nominated. Hopefully next time!

djole87

This is old news now but I really have to say that I don't understand the black people complaining. I am not a racist but I think that they need to perform better. I do not see anyone complaining there was no white guys at the American National Basketball team at the Olympics. I think the whitest person was Thompson. I do not count coach of course. If, for example, Samuel L. Jackson wants a nomination he will have to stop taking the shitty roles but he want the money, not glory so there you go.