• To log on and post you will need to create an account in the forums even if you already registered on the main Hotness Rater site. These registrations are separate.

How difficult...

HotnessRater

Administrator
Staff member
I get the idea of putting up multiple pictures and having the user rank them and generating multiple votes from that. It has been something I have already considered.

I'm not sure what the rest of the post means. Drop down list of 4 challenges? What is a challenge? And why 4?

Why 21 pictures? Why not 20, 10 or 5 or something? Just curious where you got 21 from...

HotnessRater

Administrator
Staff member
These should be combined now

The first instance of the photo does not have a celebrity link, even though I think it should
Agreed

No, I just think the photo in question is way overrated by the system, it should be 9.4-5 at best. Personally, I think the photo of her in the pink dress is hotter.
No way, the pink dress picture is meh... the other one is way hotter

And, it isn't particularly salacious, it could have a celeb link no prob imo.
Agreed and fixed

HotnessRater

Administrator
Staff member
With this change, your objection to my system of not having enough votes would be solved.
No because we can always use more votes. An idea that gives more votes does not mean we can use a system that ranks with more votes. It just means our current system would benefit from more votes

I have to wonder though. If I gave 5 pictures and asked to rate them, how long would it take for a user? In that same time span, how many 1 vs 1 votes would they put in?

I'm not saying I like the idea. If you give them 5 or 10 and say rank them, I think you will get more meaningful, thoughtful votes than you do with a 1 vs 1 hair trigger reaction. I could see putting up 5 or 10 (or 20) and asking for a ranking. Maybe even making the number a user setting. Anywhere from 3-50. Then give them a list of pictures.

I would put up/down controls beside each picture though. Not a user entered number. Let them hit up or down on each picture in the list until they feel it is in the right order.

HotnessRater

Administrator
Staff member
8.37???? Seriously? From 71 "votes", no less. Your system fails to weed out the juvenile h8ter votes. That is what your total lack of validation and statistical significance permits. It is impossible to put any reliance on any rating your system currently produces.
I'm not sure if you think it should be higher or lower. I mean she is pretty hot but that stupid look on her face brings it down. Seems pretty accurate to me actually.

It's definitely not her best picture

HotnessRater

Administrator
Staff member
because you would still never get any validation of voting results before you build your ratings on them
I get lots of validation. 1 vote doesn't make or break a rating. In fact, it is only even counted if the pictures are close in ratings, and if they are close in ratings, who is to say the vote was invalid?

I actually had a voter scoring system where I would disqualify votes if that person showed a history of getting it horribly wrong, and give them more weight if they had an excellent track record. It made very little if any difference to the final outcome though (I ran it in parallel to test it)

I know you think I'm a moron, and I have no idea about math and all these wonderful ideas you suggest are new concepts to me that I am probably just not understanding. I have been developing this system a long time. I have tried many things, including multiple vote confirmation and have concluded that large amounts of single votes works the best.

Many of the times pictures do get put up against the same picture. I don't necessarily make a definitive conclusion based on this. If we had 10 votes against the same picture and each win 5. My system ends up treating them the same. If one wins 6 and the other wins 4, it treats them close to the same. Your system would make it all or nothing and leaves no room for a grey area that is more about personal preference.

Last edited:

HotnessRater

Administrator
Staff member
but you do have some peculiar ideas when it comes to ratings and priorities
Yeah well I think the same thing about you.

I think your emotions are involved, and they are driving you to defend your decisions.
I don't know about that. The desire to not throw out years of work and start from scratch is a driving factor though. Truth is, you just haven't offered anything I haven't tried in one form or another and haven't convinced me that it would be worth the effort... From my past experience, it would just burn through too many votes. What's better, 10 data points that are 80-90% reliable or 100 that are 70-85% reliable? I don't believe the best of 5 votes or 10 votes will get you a proper winner in each case. I also believe you can obtain a lot of information by beating a 9.0 75% of the time over 25 votes when each of those 9.0s beat a 8.75 75% of the time over 25 votes.

I think the thing you are missing is that 50 votes vs pictures that were all rated the same over their 50 votes is at least or more reliable than 50 votes up between 2 pictures. This way, you get a consensus from the whole voting history and not just the pictures that those happened to be up against. With your system, there is less cross over between pictures. Each picture is compared to less pictures. This potentially allows small branches of pictures that have only been compared to each other (because they all started under the same circumstances) to decide the ranking which could be completely out of sync with the rest of community.

The way it is now, 1 vote could potentially be felt by hundred or thousands of pictures if they were all on a threshold where it mattered.

If all pics on the system are rated, and all the ratings have less than a 5% chance of error
Pictures would have more than a 5% chance of error just by looking at them several times. If you gave me 2 close match ups several times, over and over on different days, I would probably pick a different winner. This effect is amplified greatly when you open up voting to all different kinds of people all over the world. Men and women vote. People from different countries vote. Some people love Kim Kardashian. I'd give her a 7. With that type of disagreement, you aren't going to differentiate between 9.5 and 9.3 Even with 1000 votes those 2 pictures could go either way depending on who voted.

Basically, with rating girls, its an opinion. There is no such thing as a 5% error.

Like this battle: https://hotnessrater.com/battle-of-the-day/1119/erika-costell-vs-bri-teresi

Currently it is 50/50 based on 62 votes. If I look at their ratings though they have had 45 and 29 votes... and I agree with their number rating more than I agree with them being 50/50

I see a LOT of pics whose ratings give me a headache.
And I've seen lots of battles of the day that after 100 votes, someone won 80-20 and I completely disagreed with the result... so batch size does not bend the results to your will. There is no accounting for personal taste.

I would be interested in seeing pictures where the rating gave you a headache

HotnessRater

Administrator
Staff member
No, my system would leave such close votes as undetermined because they don't meet the minimum required confidence level (statistical significance). It would assgn more voting tasks for that match (not infinitely, at some point it would be deemed a tie, or whatever conclusion could be made with at least a 95% confidence rating. I mean, if the vote is like 55-45, I'd have to get my stastics book out to calculate if that is a large enough sample size to achieve an error rate of less than 5%.
The thing is there isn't necessarily a better picture when given 2 pics. A lot of it is up to personal interpretation. I believe my system captures that

HotnessRater

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, yeah, you are sort of right. There could be new unrated pics, but they would have matches created for placement at the time they enter the system. Beyond that, though, the system would create new voting tasks as I described. The purpose is always to increase accuracy. Your system seems to create new votes for pics just because they won a lot. That spends votes without gaining any accuracy.
I mean it is ridiculous because I get pictures in faster than we get votes to rate them.