• To log on and post you will need to create an account in the forums even if you already registered on the main Hotness Rater site. These registrations are separate.

Do you think cartoons nowadays are weird?

lamanlupa

Maybe it's my age, but I do think cartoons of today are different. Their characters look weird, rarely do you see a normal-looking character in today's shows. Do they do that on purpose? It's like all of the characters in today's cartoons are made of jello with googly eyes. Most look like Rugrats or Sponge Bob. Is it really the trend nowadays? No more normal looking characters?

AceTy31

I think they are all boring and lazy. I loved the X-Men and Transformers cartoons of my youth. The looks of the characters and the writing were amazing. Now it just looks like they jot down anything and call it a cartoon. When I was younger it was more captivating and inspired.

icekat

Yep they are definitely different. I think a lot of it is Japanese influence, Anime, etc. Some of it, imo, is just bad art! I do like SpongeBob though.:D

lamanlupa

Yes, don't get me wrong, the cartoons are hella funny, but where is the inspiration nowadays? Where's the beauty? The cartoons inspired by anime had good stories and greater art. Most of them were about mechanized beings and I really dig mecha even today.

Hottt

Cartoons are weird nowadays alright. I have no idea what the idea behind them is but sure agree they are not as they used to be. People love them though.

Susan

Cartoons definitely aren't what they were in the past. I enjoyed them much better back then.
Saturday morning cartoons use to be awesome. Miss those days!

Danika

Some of the cartoons that come on later at night are more than a little out there, they are downright strange and I can't understand the point of some of them. There's Teen something hunger force, its a little funny but it takes Sponge Bob and gives him crazy pills or something to make the characters in that cartoon. Then there's the one with the rock band, I can't remember what its called but its got this hater that is the band's main member and the other members are always trying to make him happy but nothing ever works. I really can't see the appeal in that one at all. I do like some of the adult cartoons that are out now though. Futurama is a good one and so is King of the Hill. I'm not too crazy about South Park anymore, it seems as if they are running out of ideas, and American Dad isn't as funny as when it first aired either. The Simpson's and Family Guy are hanging in there, but spin off's come on now, who thought the Cleveland show was a good idea? Anybody?

dyanmarie25

I still watch cartoons of today. Well, they may be a little weird compared to children's shows in the past, but I still love them. I also enjoy animated movies. :)

Maja

Cartoons nowadays are not just weird, they are without any sense. Not all again, but Teletabis cartoon is just the worse of them all. I heard and read that instead of helping kids' linguistic properties, the cartoon actually makes them dumber.
I was raised up with some great cartoons like Warner Bros cartoons, some Serbian very educational cartoons, which I watched every morning at 7am, and Disney cartoons, too. Yes you can find these today too, and if i had a child i would prefer to play them cartoons from my childhood on a computer, rather than just let them watch them on TV.

djole87

Every time has its own way. I am more interested in content which is too violent sometimes for me and gross. Sponge Bob is quite funny if you think about it. I enjoy watching this show. What I do not like is Pokemon kind of cartoons. I really do not know the names so I use this one to generalize and these cartoons are too violent and messed up. Even cartoon network is much different than it was when I was a child. nevertheless they still have good program and I still wach it from time to time.

Bonyi

Yes I think cartoons these days are weird unlike when I was growing up. Back then you could get children cartoon and it is children's carton but nowadays as an adult you feel comfortable watching children cartoons because many of them contain violence and abuse which is not good for children

rainhero

There has been an increasing amount of weird, disgusting, and mindless cartoons on these days that would definitely seem like they would make children more ignorant by watching them. They seem to have lost a sense for quality programming and would rather just show you some gross idiotic weird looking stuff that they think is funny.

Elimination

The modern American cartoons are usually disgusting and seemingly just for the sake of it. There's one about an immigrant kid from India with a talking snake, and all they do is puke, fart and smell gross stuff and any combination of the three. I've tried watching it a few times, to figure out how something like that stays on air, if maybe immigrant kids can relate to their adventures of anything, but there's no depth at all. It's just bad smells being depicted at all times.
What the hell? I never found vomit amusing as a kid. No good vs. evil paradigm, no problem to be resolved, no incredible adventure, no cool characters... just bad smells.

Yeah, I definitely get that vibe from today's cartoons. I haven't seen many cartoons compared to when I was a child however. A lot of adults and teenagers seem to enjoy a lot of anime right now, which have those cartoony aspects as well. Personally however, I don't enjoy anime.

thash1979

Cartoons are nothing like what they were when I was a kid 25 years ago! Most of the stuff on television today, look like characters created by Chinese or Japanese artists. They are more violent than what I remember watching. Care Bears, Rainbow Bright, Jem and the Holograms.. these were the cartoons when I was little. Now, I turn on the cartoon network and I hear Dora speaking Spanish and my son nodding his head like he understands her. (knowing he has no clue what she is saying) And Sponge Bob does not got my vote. This cartoon is great for adults...but not my 4 year old son.

rainhero

I wish a lot more cartoons had the Asian style art, they seem to look like they've been speed-drawn by hand or something. They don't seem to look like very much effort was put into their character designs. But I do agree their are a lot more violence in them and the Anime does have a lot of unnecessary gore in them. That's why if I watch Anime I watch the simple kind like the rock bands, the school, and the more kiddish type.

I've had to see a lot of cartoons that are aired nowadays since I have a lot of younger cousins that I've had to babysit and I've realized that the characters are more meaner and rude in them. The style of animation hurts my eyes, since it's not soft anymore like it used to be back in the days. Also, the pacing of those cartoons are way more faster and it's sometimes hard to keep up with them. I actually read an article about new cartoons that are aired that said the filmmakers have to cut a lot of scenes out of the cartoons since nowadays kinds "are not able to focus" on watching a show if it's way too "slow paced". That's why old shows are not aired or are being cut a lot, since kids are unable to watch them. It makes me sick.

Vinaya

I don't think cartoon characters are weird these days. They are unique in their own ways. Sometimes the uniqueness in a cartoon character makes me speechless: how could anyone imagine a character like this? I like the creativity in creating cartoon character.

I feel like there are some pretty cool throwbacks like Adventure Time. I think a lot of them are also pretty good at portraying what it really feels like to be stuck in an awkward puberty phase. I think Regular Show portrays this pretty well, and in general I still feel like Cartoon Network has got it in them to make decently original shows. I was crushed when Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy ended though. That was the end of a decade.

Hozyboy

Cartoons never grow old. If you watch kungfu panda or finding nemo or ice age or mega mind then you will know this.

Cartoons that show a person blown up or crushed to a pancake are outdated but the rest such as Pocahontas and Lion king are classics.