1. To log on and post you will need to create an account in the forums even if you already registered on the main Hotness Rater site. These registrations are separate.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick and dirty fix

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Feedback and New Features' started by Morgan Lalique, May 13, 2019.

1. If you aren't going to make any code fixes in the near future, maybe you can just run a few updates to make the pricing thing more bearable. I suggest 3 updates:

First, truncate hugely ridiculous prices asked:

Update price asked
    Set price asked = 200,000
    Where price asked > 200,000 and
    Price paid < 182,000

Or maybe set them to 100,000 where price paid < 90,000.

Then reduce markups by 80% on pics > 549

Update price asked
    Set price asked = ( price asked * .2 ) + ( price paid * .8 )
    Where price asked > 549 and
    Price asked > price paid

This works because price asked = price paid + markup,
    Times .2 gives .2 markup + .2 price paid, plus .8 price paid. You are left with price paid plus 20% of markup.

Then reduce the money on hand for all accounts to 10% of current totals. This will make the runaway accounts catchable in our lifetimes. Active players will quest and be able to buy off some of the pics from the inactive accounts. If in 3-4 months prices are still a problem then maybe run another update.

What do people think about this?

2. HotnessRater

HotnessRater Administrator Staff Member

I'm not going to take someone's account that they had been working on much longer than you have and cut it to 10% of their total. Even if they aren't actively playing right now. They worked up to over a million or two actively trading. It took them quite a while to do it and they did it before quests came into the game. There is no reason why you can't surpass them with the current rules. They got to that level. You already have half the pictures that many of them have.

El Duderino likes this.
  3. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

It smells. It smells badly.

Changing the rules in the middle of a game certainly is dirty.

4. HotnessRater

Well we did it when we allowed people to set the price for their pictures

5. HotnessRater

I do think we have to do something about the price setting since it completely kills the liquidity of the game... but hacking peoples balance is uncalled for

6. Well, the point reduction would be proportional across the board, it would have no effect on current standings.

7. HotnessRater

Except it would cut the most points off the larger accounts since it is a percentage... making it easier for you to catch up. I'm not sure what the point of that would be.

8. Well, the point reduction would be proportional across the board, it would have no effect on current standings. But it could make the game more attractive to new players if there weren't a couple dozen inactive accounts with 3 year point leads.

Acornett1 quit 2 years ago at a million points, since then his account has scored another two million while doing nothing other than coasting endlessly upward. Who knows how long the others have been inactive? My data only goes back to Feb. Scores like that aren't really worthy of lifetime protection, are they?

El Duderino says he wants to catch RCrus, but I've been watching, and that account is pulling away from him, on autopilot. Dude says he has his strategy, well, RCrus's strategy seems to be to never play any more. But he's been slowly pulling away for months, with no end in sight. In a year the account will be up by more than a million, maybe sooner.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  9. The point would be for new players to not be blown away by a bunch of inactive accounts they have no hope of ever catching. Not hard to figure, if you put yourself in the shoes of a new player.

10. HotnessRater

It's not impossible to catch up. I'm not going to kill peoples accounts though. I could make a rule that accounts need to be active within the last week to accumulate points from views.

Also allowing users to filter out inactive accounts from the list could be an option... but I would like them to toggle them on or off so people can see an "Active Player" list or an "All-Time" Player list.

11. Okay, I like both those ideas, that works. I'd use the 30 day quest counter maybe for active players. People who are playing regularly keep it moving.

So, ixnay on chopping down points, but what about the two updates that would reduce the insane markups? Of course, atm active players would run around marking their stuff back up, but a lot of stuff on inactive accounts would become buyable, if you were determined enough. It wouldn't suck so much searching for pics only to find everything good is 10,000, or 20,000, or 20,000,000.

Wish we had a mechanism for marking like 10% of our pics as not for sale, though. Or a mechanism to buy a high reserve price. For instance, say I wanted to mark up a pic 200,000, but my markup allowance is distributed already. I could buy a 1-year markup of 200,000 for like 20,000. If I think the pic will go viral or something, I might sell it in a few months, and my 20,000 would look like a good investment.